Home | Overview | Non-Discrimination Statement | Board Meetings | Conservation | Rate Schedule | By Laws | Specifications | Preventing Pollution | Links | Newsletter | Contact Us
|The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has developed a list of "Ten Simple Steps You Can Take to Prevent Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS)."|
1. Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly.
2. Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks, and roads.
3. Never dump anything down storm drains.
4. Revegetate or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
5. Clean up spills of vehicle fluids or household chemicals and properly dispose of cleanup materials.
6. Minimize pesticide use and learn about integrated pest management.
7. Direct roof drains away from paved surfaces and bare soil.
8. Take your car to a car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
9. Check your car for leaks and recycle motor oil.
10. Pick up after your pet.
|Also known as "people pollution", NPS pollution is, according
to EPA, "generated by individuals, rather than by factories". It
can be resolved by the corrective actions of individuals, rather than
through huge end-of-pipe spending campaigns.
To learn more about NPS pollution, visit the EPA Web site at www.epa.gov/nps.
|Back To Top|